Kinetic Schedule is distributed as a war file, and runs inside a Java Servlet Container such as Apache Tomcat.
To install Kinetic Schedule, all you need to do is deploy the war file to your web server, or more specifically to your Java Servlet Container. The method to do this varies by web server, so you may need to consult the documentation for your web server if you are unfamiliar with deploying web applications.
For Apache Tomcat, you can copy the war file to the Tomcat webapps directory, and the application will automatically deploy if the web server is running, or it will auto deploy when the web server is started.
Installation consists of the four general steps:
- Deploy the Kinetic Schedule WAR file to the web server
- Configure the application properties file to set the location of the configuration files
- Install a license
- Restart the application
Who Should Read This Guide?
This guide is intended for the person responsible for installing Kinetic Schedule™. This person must have file system access to the web server that the application will run on.
The following requirements must be met to install Kinetic Schedule™:
- Java Development Kit (JDK) version 1.6 or greater - either 32-bit or 64-bit
- Java Servlet Container - Kinetic Data recommends Apache Tomcat v6.0 or higher
- Implements Servlet 2.4 specification or higher
- Implements JavaServer Pages 2.0 specification or higher
- Recommended JVM Settings
- Minimum Heap Memory - 512 MB (-Xms512m)
- Maximum Permanent Generation size - 256 MB (-XX:MaxPermSize=256m)
Upgrading From Kinetic Schedule 1.0
If you are upgrading from Kinetic Schedule v1.0, please see the upgrade documentation page before installing the new WAR file.
Obtaining the WAR
A zip file containing the Kinetic Schedule web application archice (WAR) file can be obtained from the Install Files page located on the Install Files page.
Deploying the WAR
The method for deploying the WAR file to your web server will vary by servlet container. Web servers such as WebLogic and WebSphere provide administration consoles that allow you to upload the war file to the web server. Others such as Apache Tomcat, simply allow you to copy the WAR file to a specific deployment directory. Please consult your web server documentation for instructions to deploy to your web server.
Using Tomcat as an example, copy the kineticSchedule.war file to the <tomcat_home>/webapps directory. The application should automatically deploy unless auto-deploy has been turned off. In that case, simply restart your Tomcat server.
Configure the Properties
During deployment, a properties file will be generated for the application. This properties file contains the location of the data directory that will be used to hold the schedule configuration files and log files.
- Copy the existing sample_config directory to the location you want to use as the data directory. This sample configuration directory contains sample configuration files that you can modify for your environment.
- Using a text editor, open the <kinetic_schedule_deployment>/WEB-INF/classes/properties.xml file.
- Using Tomcat as an example, this location would be: <tomcat_home>/webapps/kineticSchedule/WEB-INF/classes/properties.xml
- Edit the value of the property named
- The default location is C:\kinetic-schedule. This should be modified to the match the location on your file system. If installing on a Unix/Linux server, use the standard Unix/Linux file separator syntax (/opt/kinetic-schedule) instead of the Windows file separator syntax.
- This value must contain the full path to the data directory.
Install a License
Kinetic Schedure requires a license to operate. Please see the Licensing page for obtaining and installing the license.
Restart the Application
An application restart is necessary to pick up the property file changes and apply the new license. Some web servers, such as WebLogic and WebSphere are able to restart the application from the Administration Console. Others like Tomcat need the web server service restarted.